Clip Chart

Why do we use the clip charts? Do they help or do they really cause anxiety and worse behaviors. This is my first year I decided to trash that clip chart and man it was amazing. I wanted to share my thoughts and experiences with that color coded clip chart. We all had that one kid that no matter how many times they went up or down they just didn't care and neither did the parent. Then we have all had that kid that went to red and to the office they go only to come back with a piece of gum and sticker. WHAT! UGG the life of a teacher. Have we ever thought that the clip chart is the cause of stress and anxiety on you and some of the kids? My son started kindergarten this year and man that clip chart was a disaster. I mean straight disaster hurricane meets Add to dictionary. He would FLIP OUT if he has to move his name and the anxiety he had was off the charts. We realized that he needed a separate behavior plan separate than the clip chart. It made me think how many other kids have major anxiety and say nothing. I did a survey to my students and found that they lost track in their school work and just focused on how to move back up. Could clip charts cause grade problems and maybe low grades. Hmm you will never find out if you don't ditch that clip chart. I am going to tell you some of the alternatives I have come across that WORK I mean WORK....

Brag Tags: This is the new thing. You can find them all over Teacher Pay Teacher and man the kids will do anything for them. I used them this year and would have to hand  out four or more a day and the kids loved getting them. They loved placing on their special lanyard.  

Pay to Play: Now this one can be difficult and have to be modified based on students ability. Kids can earn money throughout the week and when fun Friday or a special day comes then they can pay to have computer time, free time or even popcorn. Kids love working to earn things!

Crazy Straws: I bought a ton of packages of crazy straws from Kroger and placed this really cool paper on each one saying you got caught being Crazy good. I couldn't keep up with kids being good to earn a straw. Yes a crazy straw!

Flip the Clip Chart:  I watched a teacher this year flip her clip chart and have no negative clips. Only start on pink and work your way to red. If you made it to red you could pick a prize or earn money. It was crazy to watch the kids race to the top.


Please feel free to comment if you have other ideas or suggestions. I would love to hear your thoughts:):):)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Free Teacher Websites

Really Good Stuff